Updated: Dec 11, 2019
Christmas is the time of the year where family comes together under the same roof to celebrate and spend time together. Is the one time of the year where differences are put aside and a vale of hapiness and celebrations cover the lands. Such a celebration of course comes with big family gatherings, plenty of food, drinks and waste. Every year arounf the world million of tonnes of food waste are going to waste during this time. From leftover turkey, potatoes, greenies, carrots and many, many more. Today we are going to discover some interesting recipes that you can make with this surplus food.
Leftover Turkey and Potato Pie
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
680g/1lb 8oz leftover turkey, diced
6 tomatoes, seeds removed, diced
150ml/¼ pint chicken stock
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
225g/8oz diced leftover vegetables (carrots, parsnips and sprouts)
450g/1lb leftover roast potatoes
25g/1oz melted butter
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion and chopped garlic. Cook until softened but not coloured.
2. Add the chopped turkey meat and cook until lightly coloured. Add the diced tomatoes, pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer until it starts to thicken, then add the diced vegetables and peas and return to the boil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour into a large pie dish. Allow to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
5. Slice the roast potatoes and lay carefully on top of the turkey mixture. Brush with melted butter and bake until hot in the middle and the potatoes are coloured, about 30 minutes.